Sunday 26 May 2013

choo choo, it's a train party

We celebrated my son's second birthday today, we had so much fun.  We did a train theme, he loves trains and if he has more than two little trains in his hands, he is one happy camper.


The train we used for decorating the table. In the background are cookies shaped like train tracks.


I used some chalkboard fabric and drew with a chalk pen (love those pens, they are fantastic). I bought some bowls from Ikea (seasonal ones) to use as the various cabooses of the train filled with mainly crackers. Lots of cookies, cakes and snacks filled the table too.  We had matching paper straws (one of my new favourite things) and clear drinking cups that had some washi tape to match all our other decorations (sorry, no photo - forgot).


My parties seem to never to be complete without some sort of cake pop. I used my all time favourite recipe, lemon poppy seed sour cream cake for them. Covered them with chocolate candy melts by Wilton and then some sprinkles for the finishing touch.


The birthday mini cupcakes, again using the same recipe as the cake pops (because it made so much). I made the picks using a Martha Stewart punchwater colour pencil crayons and some cardstock that I had on hand. I was quite happy the way they turned out.


And finally a personalized cookie for each of our small guests. They were a bit of work, but well worth the effort I thought.