Monday 1 October 2012

fairy princess birthday


Our little girl turned three last week and she wanted a fairy princess birthday party. No princess is complete without a crown, so I made her one.  I used peltex, cotton fabrics (Riley Blake, Designer: The Quilted Fish, Category: Sugar & Spice except the green fabric which I do not know the designer of) , buttons and Swarovski crystals. The crown has a ribbon at the back which is tied for the perfect fit, now and down the road.


This number 3 is made of Swarovski crystals.  I made it as a pin so that I could remove it and make a new number next year or something else.



The birthday cupcake. I originally saw the idea for pink lemonade cupcakes here and thought it was a great idea.  The recipe can be found here. I decorated mine a little differently as I was unable to find the jelly toppers but the kids did not seem to mind.


No party seems to be complete these days without cake pops.  I used one of my favourite recipes for them, lemon poppy seed sour cream cake.  I used Wilton white candy melts with pink coloured sugar. They were a hit.


Some refreshing pink lemonade along with paper straws which I found at Etsy. They have an amazing selection of colours and you pick the colours that you want...perfect.  I even purchased some more straws in advance for another birthday party.


I covered the table with "gems" for that bit of sparkle. In the background are some princess crown cookies. The recipe I used for the cookies is one of the best I've used in a quite some time for shaped cookies.  The dough, once chilled, is great to work with and does not crumble a lot.  You can find the recipe here. The cookie cutters are from Wilton and I used royal icing to decorate along with white nonpareils. I think they turned out great.


We also managed to get a refrigerator box and made a castle out of it for the kids to play in. A few windows, a door, a bit of paint and there you have it. You could easily skip painting the box, it will still have the same impact on the kids.

And as a final touch, all the kids got a fairy princess wand to take home.  You can see how I made them here.

As a side note, if you decide to make the high heel shaped cookies in the cookie cutter set be aware that the heel is narrow and I had trouble at times getting the cookie dough out nicely...my pinky wasn't quite small enough but other than that they are such a fun shape.