Monday 20 October 2014

Winter Woodland Birthday Party

It was my daughter's 5th birthday and we decided to have a winter woodland themed party where Elsa would make a special appearance. You can see more more photos of Elsa at the party here.


It seems that no birthday is complete in my house without cake pops. I use my all time favourite recipe for these, lemon poppy seed sour cream cake. Maybe one day I will use a different receipe…maybe.  I then used the Wilton candy melts (do no overheat, it makes for a challenge to coat the cake pops).


One of the latest things that I just love to make are marshmallows.  I used Butter's famous marshmallow recipe and made 2 batches, vanilla and blackberry flavoured. I also decide to make rock candy which reminds me of ice, perfect for a winter themed party.


Lots of cupcakes, cookies and fruit covered the table.


Some snowflake sugar cookies (recipe from Butter Baked Goods) but as yummy as they were, I found the dough to be a bit crumbly to work with.  Some royal icing with crystal sugar and you have some lovely snowflakes.


Then I had to make some chocolate cupcakes with a hollowed out center which was then filled with Nutella and covered with icing…they were delicious. (recipe from Butter Baked Goods)


For decorations I painted twigs white, paper roses which I had all over the place.  Acorns, branch coasters and paper punched snowflakes worked nicely with the winter woodland theme.



Every little girl left with a pretty princess cup and some ribbon elastic hair ties. 



As an activity for the kids I try to do a craft.  I found these adorable castle like birdhouses which each of the girls got to decorate. They turned out so cute. 




And finally the birthday cake. I did not put Elsa on top of the cake, I really didn't feel that it went with everything else. My daughter has been collecting these little Mooska dolls and thought it was perfect. A few model train trees, blackberries and lots of icing we had a great cake.  This cake was a white layered cake with homemade strawberry jam and icing between the layers. I used the white cake recipe from Butter Baked Goods, it was so good.