Wednesday 25 January 2012

bean bags or should I say rice bags?



I've seen a few blogs and websites with bean bags lately, so I thought it would be fun to make them myself.  I initially wanted to do an alphabet letter on each bag and may still do that some day but for now I just made the plain.

Here is how I created the bags:
  • Cut squares measuring 5 1/4" x 10 1/2" of various cotton fabrics.  
  • Fold in half with right sides together and stitch together.  Be sure to leave an opening to add the filing.
  • Turn right side out and press.
  • Top stitch (I did it 1/8" from the edge) leaving an opening again for the filling.  Make sure the openings are in the same place.
  • Fill your bag with rice.  I had tried yellow peas but they were too hard and I found that rice was much softer when the bag was tossed.  (You could also use it as a small heat bag when needed on those cold winter days if you uses rice)
  • Top stitch the opening shut and you are now done.