Friday 13 June 2014

Paper Airplane Birthday

It was my son's 3rd birthday party and he loves airplanes, so it was fitting that we would have a paper airplane party.  I made a paper airplane birthday invitation from a template and then modified to to meet my needs. Our little guests loved receiving these airplanes, so much fun.


It seems that no birthday is complete in my house without cake pops. I use my all time favourite recipe for these, lemon poppy seed sour cream cake. Maybe one day I will use a different receipe…maybe.  I then used the Wilton candy melts (do no overheat, it makes for a challenge to coat the cake pops).


I got the Butter Baked Goods recipe book for mother's day this year, it has so many wonderful recipes in it and is beautifully photographed (photographer's blog found here) as well. I decided to make the Nutella chocolate cupcakes and they were yummy. The cake was more like a brownie to me and then filled with a little bit of Nutella, what a great combination. I topped the mini cupcakes off with cream cheese icing and a few blue sugar.


And how could I not serve marshmallows at the party? I made vanilla and blackberry ones, they were a great hit. This recipe can be found in Butter Baked Goods recipe book as well. You can also find it here.


Some airplane sugar cookies (recipe found here) decorated with royal icing. I tried a flooding technique this time around.  I was pretty happy with it minus the poor piping job…better luck next time….I hope.


The table with covered with little paper airplanes that I printed out and then used a circle punch. It was so simple but I thought looked great on the table.


And finally, the cake. I know I said before that making cakes was not my thing but after reading the Butter Baked Goods, I thought I would give it a try again I was inspired.  The cake was great, I made the vanilla cake recipe. Then I discovered the 1M piping tip, it made my life so much easier when it came to icing the cake and cupcakes. A few chocolate sprinkles, some Oreo cookie crumbs (under the airplane), paper bunting, a toy airplane and we are done.